Recent Advances in Numerical Modelling and Simulation: Enhanced finite elements with embedded discontinuities for the modeling of displacement and fluid-flow jumps
Prof. Callari from University of Molise (Italy) will present his reasearch "Enhanced finite elements with embedded discontinuities for the modeling of displacement and fluid-flow jumps" in the framework of study course "Recent Advances in Numerical Modelling and Simulation".
Outline of the lecture:
- Background: analysis and numerical simulation of strain localization; loss of ellipticity and mesh dependency.
- Analysis of strong discontinuities in elasto-plastic solids. Strong discontinuities in dilatant plasticity.
- Embedding strong discontinuities as local enhancements in finite elements. Static condensation and discontinuity propagation algorithm.
- Numerical simulation of strain localization in a plane-strain compression test: indifference to mesh size and alignment; comparison with standard FEM
- Strong discontinuities in multi-phase porous media: analysis; enhanced finite element formulation; plane-strain compression test with localization-induced desaturation
- Simulation of strain localization induced by shallow tunneling